This week’s Stray Thoughts Sundays, keeping in mind I was gone to my mom’s with only phone internet access for most of the week.
This week started with a drop in to the medical clinic for my daughter (ear infection on a Sunday – thank goodness for drop-in clinics that are open on Sundays) because we didn’t have enough medical appointments scheduled without that extra one. So, I may have been looking for some light-hearted reading this week more than seriously compelling stuff. Keep that in mind!
1. Do you know who Nate Silver is? He became a sort of celebrity among debate people when he hit it big predicting election results on his website FiveThirtyEight which has since been acquired by ESPN (he still writes for them). He was a nationally successful debater in high school, a true nerd, and became this celebrity for doing cerebral things. So, I, like most debate nerds, became slightly enthralled with him. So, I thought this article in the Washington Post was funny and cute, but if you aren’t a nerd-obsessed debate person, it may not be as funny to you.
2. My hometown made an impressive list of places to visit via a day trip from Sacramento! I love my hometown and I’m always happy to see that others recognize a lot of what I enjoy about it as well. I don’t want to become the next Tahoe (I don’t want the traffic or the crowds), but I’m happy to have people visit intermittently to boost our local economy a bit!
3. So, I’m not really a reader of comic books and never have been. I remember reading some Archie comics (which is getting national attention for its upcoming story line) and maybe some others at some points, but I didn’t follow any of them. But, I must say that the big news of the Archie story line has taken a backseat to this OLD (1987) story line from Superman! I mean…really? Adult movies? Weird.
4. On a serious note, a friend of mine who has traveled the world extensively, posted this article reminding us that sometimes food isn’t enough to guarantee proper nutrition. In India, poor sanitation is causing otherwise properly fed children to suffer from malnutrition. We worry a lot about feeding people, but sometimes we ignore the more systemic problems of infrastructure and sanitation.
5. I don’t usually do any of the myriad of “which flavor soda are you?” or “which character from the Golden Girls are you?” (well, okay, I may do that one if I see it). But, I was feeling nostalgic and did the “Which Original Star Trek Member Are You?” I was not surprised when I was Spock. I do have more emotion than he does, but I definitely relate to him pretty well. I also noticed that the handful of friends who did the same quiz also got Spock. It may have something to do with #1 on this list. 🙂
6. In more depressing news, not only is corporate America running politics nowadays, but they are now keeping average Americans from having their day in court. Read about it here if you don’t mind the depressing news.
7. And in the learn something new everyday, did you know there are Fairy Fire forests that glow in the dark? It is a Disney tale turned reality.
8. This Make-A-Wish kid may be recruited by some MLB teams after this first pitch!
9. And this husband/wife photo bomb may be the best ever.
And with that, I say good night.